 Robotics / Handy Board / 5015
RE: encoder and motor questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 17:53:07 GMT

I am doing something very similar, but instead I am trying to follow a
black line on a white background.  Either way, I am using IR detectors and
emitters.  They are readily available and work very well.  I'm sorry I have
never used an encoder to know how to hook it up, but IR works pretty well
once fine tuned a little bit.  If you have questions how the IR works give
me a email and I'll explain it to you.

Bill Denzel

Senior Mechatronics Student
California Polytechnic State University
     San Luis Obispo

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Foo [mailto:soundstruck@pacific.net.sg]
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 1998 3:41 PM
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: encoder and motor questions

dear viewers
here are some questions i need to ask:
1) my DC motor comes with a 10 pin optical encoder(supply current-10mA)
   pin 1- GND
   pin 2- Vcc
   pin 3- dir
   pin 4-standyby
   pin 5 and 6  - A1 and A2
   pin 7 &8     - B1 and B2
   pin 9 and 10 - Z1 and Z2
   how do i connect my encoder part to the handy board?
   can i ignore the encoder?
   my robot only needs to sense retroreflective white tape, can i just
use suitable sensors instead of using encoders?
   ( The pins I listed are just for details)

2) i am using a separate motor battery source of 30 V to connect to the
handy board cause my motors supply around 30V.what is roughly the
suitable and max. current needed for the 30V external battery source to
be able to supply to the handyboard to prevent the handyboard from
"frying"?

thank u for reading my problems
i would appreciate if anyone could respond to me directly to my email
address : soundstruck@pacific.net.sg
u could also reply to me on the mailing list if its for convenient for u
hope to hear some news
thank u