 Robotics / Handy Board / 4996
Re: stepper motors from 5 1/4 drives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:02:52 GMT

Hi!

Okay, another newbie question:  What do I need to take out of the 5 1/4
drive, other than the motor to get this to work?  Also, what about drivers
for the same?  Anyplace I can get more info on this? I have a bunch of old
drives laying around.

okay, another newbie reply :-) After I received this message I opened
several 5 1/4 drives that were going to trash at my job and took all the
stepper motors and integrated circuits. Here's what I figured out:

1 - All the stepper motors I found have 5 wires, one of them is black. You
connect this black wire to a common source (could be gnd). The others go to
your driver. In the simplest case this can be 4 buffers. You have to put 12
vdc on ONE of these wires at a time, sequentially. The sequence order
determines the direction.

2 - If you want your motor to rotate only in one way, you can use one of
your hb outputs as a clock for a counter as 4017. Each pulse makes your
motor rotate 1.8 degrees, so you need 200 pulses for a revolution.

3 - If you want it to rotate in the two ways, you can use 2 outputs from
your hb and wire them to a diode matrix,so that you place a 2-bit binary
word and get 4 decimal distinct outputs. Then you increment the value of
this word to rotate in a way, and decrement it to rotate in the other way.

4 - The driver I found on some floppy drives was uln2003an. But keep all the
socketed integrated circuits. Anyway you can always use 4 transistors :-)
and I'd suggest that.

If you want some circuits I have some, so please ask me.

I generally use very common parts like diodes because I don't live in your
electronics paradise (USA).

Another way you can have some fun is connecting those diode matrixes to your
pc paralell port. You can easily connect 4 stepper motors and exercise your
algorithms.

Hope this could help!

See you,
Cesar