 Robotics / Handy Board / 4988
RE: urgent request help !!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 22:46:47 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: phillip chia [mailto:philchia@singnet.com.sg]
Sent: Friday, December 18, 1998 7:04 AM
To: handybd
Cc: Mr Peter Lim
Subject: urgent request help !!!!

Hi Fred and others,
I very desperate to debug the problem that took place in my HD.  When I
download the P_code, it is successfully downloaded. However, when the next
instruction ask to reset the board, no words of sentence appear on the LCD.
Only 16 dark squares appear on the LCD.  I have tried many times, it is
still in vain .

Moreover, I have even tried to changed almost all the IC chips and it is
still no result. Except the 68HC11 and 74hc373 (U3) I did not change. I
have test out each signal is going fine. Besides, I have changed the DS1233
,it is still in vain .

I got this problem since last week. I have been working well with the HD
very well all the while. Suddenly, when the next morning I switch on the
board, such thing happen.

Please help me asap. I really very desperate and do not know what to do . I
have to submit the project 3 weeks times.

rgds,
chia

Hi Philip;

I am no expert, but after reading your posts I see possibly two problems.

1.  If the download does not go reliably, you may have problems with the
MAX232 chip on the interface/charger board, or with the 4 10uF capacitors
which connnect to it.  Additionally, you might want to check the cable and
connections to the computer, and also check the RJ11 cable and connections
from the interface/charger to the HB, they may have been damaged.

2.  If the download goes OK but the HB LCD shows black squares on reset, I
would suspect the memory power supply first, either U14 is not supplying 5V
at pin 1 with power off, and/or C4 or C5 may be shorted.  Look for solder
bridges and broken traces too.

Good luck!

Brett Anthony
Equipment Technician
College of Engineering and Computer Science
California State University, Sacramento

Postal Mail:  Brett Anthony
              CSUS, E&CS
              6000 J St.