 Robotics / Handy Board / 4934
Re: Stepper vs DC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 16:46:05 GMT

It depends.  if you are looking for higher top speed and more torque using
less power, DC may be the way to go.
If you want accuracy but don't want to deal with shaft encoders and the
code overhead needed to precisely control and monitor your DC motors, then
step motors are definitely the way to go.

I have used step motors as drive motors on all my robots, they are easy to
control and are very accurate and easy to use (I use a MC3479 step motor
controller IC, which allow a motor to be controlled with two data lines,
one to pulse and one for direction.)

after reading your mails, it seems to me that the dc motor is better than
the stepper motor. doesn't the stepper motor offer any advantages over
the dc motor? is the stepper motor that bad?