 Robotics / Handy Board / 4860
RE: Hacking Servos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 23:03:38 GMT

Yeah, I remember seeing that one; I may actaully have the info at home...

Anyway, an R/C servo has a hard stop to limit travel because the electronics
use a simple potentiometer on the output shaft for position feedback.  These
pots typically have ~300 deg. max travel, so the servo has a limit tab on
the output shaft (or it's gear) to protect this pot.  You CAN remove this
stop, but you also then have to remove the pot, and the electronics, and
wire the servo motor as a simple motor.  This is actually a nifty way to
make a small, torquey, gearmotor; but it isn't a servo anymore.

If you could find a multi-turn pot of the same value, that fits is the case,
you could make a multi-turn servo, but it might be easier to buy a "sail
winch servo" which does the same thing.

Brett Anthony
Equipment Technician
College of Engineering and Computer Science
California State University, Sacramento

Postal Mail:  Brett Anthony
              CSUS, E&CS
              6000 J St.