 Robotics / Handy Board / 4827
    Has anyone been experimenting with mapping algorithms?
   Hi everyone, We've been reading up on the many different algorithms for mapping an environment using autonomous robots. Has anyone else been trying to figure out the best approach to map an area and it's obstacles using less than 32k of memory? (26 years ago, 28-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: Has anyone been experimenting with mapping algorithms? —Will
     (...) The two basic approaches are (1) a bitmap, and (2) a list of obstacle coordinates. A bitmap is just a grid of 1's and 0's indicating the presence of an obstacle at each grid point. It can be implemented as a 1-D integer array with a simple (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)

        Re: Has anyone been experimenting with mapping algorithms?
   For a class project, I found a few alternatives for obstacle avoidance with known areas using evolvable code. You could call it mapping, I suppose, though it maps for a specific type of problems - those that have a "goal" of some sort (I used a (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.robotics.handyboard)