 Robotics / Handy Board / 4674
Re: To step or not to step
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 6 Nov 1998 19:53:36 GMT

I encountered the same problem with the DC motors I use on my robot.
I used a reflective type encoder that read a black and white stripe of the
driving wheels, but did not work reliably due to
lack of resoulution and interference from ambient light.

I want to try to get some comercial quadruature encoders with a resolution
of min100 ppr. and give it a try.
The other problem that I encountered is that if one of the motors is slighty
slower then the other and you use diferential steering
it will arc towards the slower motor some sort of PID might also help.

If you decide to go the stepper way check out this homepage
http://www.cctc.demon.co.uk/stepper.htm

B.T.W. if you don't mind I would be interested in the code you used with the
saft encoder.

Thanks,

-----Original Message-----
From: r.farnhill@bssl.co.uk <r.farnhill@bssl.co.uk>
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu <handyboard@media.mit.edu>
Date: Friday, November 06, 1998 9:47 AM
Subject: To step or not to step

Hi all,

Iam trying to make up my mind on which type of motor to use on my robot,
I have got two stepper motors with built in quadriture encoders and also • two
12v 2amp
D.C. motors with gearbox's. I have made a test bot built from Lego with two
9Volt Lego motors
with Microsoft mouse contact type encoders fixed to the drive shafts. Every
thing seems to work ok
but a find I have not got a lot of control or precision moving at low • speed,
also I overrun due to momentum
when trying to stop. Basically will I get more control and precision using
stepper motors and also will the
extra work involved with getting stepper working be worth the trouble in • the
end run, or am I better off sticking
to DC motors

Any input, experiences, comments , would be appreciated