 Robotics / Handy Board / 4615
Re: Picking a PIC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:15:51 GMT

In a message dated 98-10-27 13:58:13 EST, ben@wirz.com writes:

<< Hi Fred,

Good to hear from you, feel free to post this to the list.

I feel that the flash parts are easier to use because you don't need to
wait for the UV eraser to do its things during development, the flash parts
are electrically erasable.  But the problem is that Microchip currently
only has one flash chip available, the 16F84.  Note that the popular 16C84
is now obsolete the 16F84 is very similar.  If you can live within the
constraints of having only 1 8 bit timer, no hardware UART, no A/D, and a
max speed of 10 MHz then its fine, otherwise you need to move up to one of
the EPROM parts.  I feel that with good simulation, which is an absolute
requirement for the PIC, then it doesn't really matter because you will
know your code is going to work and the erase/burn cycles are minimized.  I
also try to keep  4 or 5 of each type of PIC I'm working with on hand so I
can have a couple in the eraser at all times.

I hope that helps,

Ben Wirz

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED: