 Robotics / Handy Board / 4611
Re: C compiler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 18:11:08 GMT

Joe,

Your question implies that Interactive C does not compile to byte code,
so I thought I should take some time to post an explanation of how IC
works.

Actually, Interactive C does compile, and in fact does compile to byte
code, which is then downloaded to the 6811.  The 6811 then has a byte
code interpreter, which executes the byte code.

Being interactive doesn't necessarily require an interpreter;  because
the IC compiler and debugger are in fact the same program, things you
type at the IC> prompt are transparently compiled to byte code prior to
download.

Why wasn't IC designed to be an interpreter?  The advantage of compiling
to byte code as opposed to using a standard interpreter is primarily
speed.  The primary disadvantage is that the 6811 board won't contain
the original source code, so you must maintain the source solely on your
desktop computer.

On the other hand, why wasn't IC designed to compile directly to machine
code?  Advantages of compiling to byte code compared to compiling to
machine code include smaller code size, ease of multitasking, and making
it easier to do some run time error checking.  The primary disadvantage
is that byte code is slower than machine code.

I hope this helps to clear up how IC works.

-- Randy

The Plumber wrote:

Is there any C compilers that people can recomend, I am looking for a
cross compiler (compiles to byte code) as opposed to interpreted (IC).

Oh, I use a PC runing windows/dos

Thanks,
Joe Hoffmann
E-Mail jhoffman@it.sait.ab.ca

Randy Sargent                        Newton Research Labs
President                            Robotic Systems and Software
rsargent@newtonlabs.com              http://www.newtonlabs.com/