 Robotics / Handy Board / 4539
RE: platform choices...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 14:47:21 GMT

From the pictures, it seems that this is a vehicle called 'Hercules' (or
something close).  I have seen it at the FAO Schwarz store recently.  I have
no details on how the truck operates, though the details on the box
indicated that it can raise and lower itself on the suspension.  I'll take a
closer look at the pictures on the site, and go compare them to the rc truck
to see if this is indeed the same model.

Todd

-
Check out:
http://www.isi.edu/isd/dreamteam/
http://www.isi.edu/isd/dreamteam/pictures2.html

From the paper, the platform is based on a RC truck that has some form of
differential steering.  However, I haven't been able to find out who made
the truck.  I tried asking on comp.robotics.misc and one of the team
members, but no luck so far.  Does anyone know what they used?

Does anyone have other suggestions?  To simplify the control, I'd prefer
something with differential steering or a fairly small turning radius.  In
a recent trip to Toys R Us, I didn't have any luck finding a kiddie car
with differential steering.  I may have to give up using something off the
shelf and build the entire thing from scratch, but if possible, I'd like
to avoid that.  Any ideas?

            Many thanks,
            Clem