 Robotics / Handy Board / 4386
Re: Re: <obstacles>
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 17:52:13 GMT

I don't really know how to explain finite state machines (FSMs) or parse
trees...(I'm not in computer science...) but my artificial life class's
homepage is still up and the text is available through it in post-script
format (http://www.math.iastate.edu/danwell/math378.html).

To everyone that wants my "hard code" - I need to know what kind of
sensors you're using and whether or not your environment is a set one.
Also, my evolving code is much better at obstacle avoidance than the hard
code. (It's not as hard as it may sound!)

-Kate
---
Kate
krasing@iastate.edu

There's many ways you can approach obstacle avoiding.

There are neural nets, evolutionary code (incl. genetic programming and
genetic algorithms), finite state machines, and there's hard-coding it into
the program (which, of course is no fun at all but such a headache saver!).

I have some code available, somewhere, that I can dig up - I have a
hard-code version in IC, an evolving FSM code in C++, and a half-finished
evolving parse tree in IC (note: use a more recent edition that has
multi-dimensional arrays. so much easier).

Hi, do you mind sending your hard-code version to me? I would like to have
a look. I'm currently writing the program for my obstacle avoidance robot
running on 2 steppers and a HB.

Btw, what is finite state machines and parse tree?