 Robotics / Handy Board / 4337
Re: interfacing V2X compass
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 22:10:03 GMT

John Duff wrote:

Rick,
I had the same problem. Also the compass would occassionally lock up and
require a reset. I tied the reset pin to a digital out and added a routine
to take all the necessary pins high and then cycle the reset pin. I reset on
initialization and could call the routine later it the compass locks.  I
have an assembler program that incorporates this. I use the V2X in slave
mode. I'd be happy to send it to you if it would help

I ended up doing the same thing.  I appreciate hearing that someone else had
thesame problem, and used the same solution.  It sure is frustrating that you
can't
trust the documentation that came with the compass; if you need to reset the
thing *AFTER* powerup than they should of put it in the documentation
&@&$%#)(&^%!

Thanks, I really do appreciate hearing a confirmation of the problem.

Later,

    Rick

Rick Moll wrote:

HB Folks,

I'm currently using the HB to interface to a Vector 2X compass.  I'm
using the compass in RAW slave mode, so it's different than the hardware
interface that's documented on the HB web site.  But I did notice that
the documented interface just left the ~RESET pin float high, so I
assumed that the compass could be trusted to power up reliably as long
as the interfaced pins are connected to i/o lines that boot up in a
high-impedance (as should all of the SPI lines on the 6811).  The V2X
documentation says that should work, and the interface documented on the
HB web site implied that it at least worked for someone.

The problem I'm having is that most of the time this works fine; but
occasionally the V2X gets into some state where it will not power up and
work properly until I momentarily lower the ~RESET line (with a wire
jumper).

Have other folks got the V2X to work reliably for them with the ~RESET
pin left unconnected???

Thanks,

    Rick