 Robotics / Handy Board / 4270
Re: General use PCB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 21:13:04 GMT

I too was going to suggest AP having done business with them in the
past, however you have to note that they have a 'high density' drilling
surcharge. This surcharge is 1 cent for every hole over 24 in 1 sq " of
board. Thue "perfboard" (10 x 10 holes in 1 sq") costs $0.76 per square
inch. For a board that has a 3 x 2.5" breadboard area, that is 7.5 sq
inches at an additional board cost of $5.70 per board. Add to that their
"regular" charge of .68/sq in ( the board is 3 x 4 (or 12 sq")) which is
then $8.16 and the absolute minimum cost is about $14/board. This is
simply unacceptable when buying class 'lab supplies.'

Now a "real" board house (that is one that will tool up for a board run
of 250 - 500 boards) will be able to significantly beat that price. My
guess is that they could do it for about $3 - 8/board. And you would end
up with better boards overall. (In Silicon Valley it seems the bid is
often on quantity rather than price, as in "I'll pay $1,000, how many
boards will I get?" :-)

Alternatively there are board places that will put your artwork in the
"unused" portion of another customers board. That can be a win because
the board house gets revenue on what would have been waste product but
it is often 'cut yourself' type of deals.

I like the concept behind the PICProto type boards (See JDR
microdevices, Parallax, or the www.robotstore.com web site for a
picture), they are a combination of a simple PIC layout and some
breadboard. For students it might be helpful to have a pre-layed out
voltage regulator circuit or three so that one could build an arbitrary
circuit on them.

--Chuck