 Robotics / Handy Board / 4202
Re: motor power problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 19:05:17 GMT

<< Has anyone had similar problems, and if so how did you solve them?  I know
there's a way to provide a separate power supply for the motors, but I'd
rather not cut traces on the board except as a last resort.

     A way to avoid cutting traces, is to lift the motor supply pins.  Gently
pry the L293D chips from their sockets.  (You can do this with one or both
chips.)  Then bend pin 8 up.  Then put the chips back in their sockets.  Using
a wirewrap tool wire these pins together and leave some wire dangling.  This
is your new motor positive power wire.  The circuit board wiring provides the
ground or minus connection.  When you have finished using this type of motor
the pin 8 can be bent back (after removing the chip, but I would avoid doing
this more than once or twice less metal fatigue break the pin.  But I have
used this method to supply 12V to robot drive motors.

Hope this Helps
Fred T