 Robotics / Handy Board / 4194
Re: motor power problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 04:04:37 GMT

in short, the answer is:

  "you can't use 3 to 4v motors with the Handy Board."

basically, these motors are cheap toy motors that are incredibly noisy
from an electrical standpoint, plus they want to draw far more current
than the Handy Board's motor drivers can deliver.

your options are:

1.  get better motors, ones rated for 9 to 12v with 1 ampere of
current draw (e.g., LEGO motors)

2.  design your own motor driver circuit and run your 3 to 4.5v motors
from that.

just reducing the HB's batt voltage wont' do it, as you have found,
because of the noise problem inherent in these cheap motors.

fred

In your message you said:
Hi, everyone.  I recently bought a preassembled handyboard from the Robot
Store in Hong Kong, and I'm having trouble with motor power.  My robot
frame has two motors that can run at 3-4.5V.  I was planning to use 5AA
Nicads as a power supply for the whole board (as suggested in the list
archives), which should give about 5V or so to the motors.  I'd planned on
using PWM to run the motors at 3.5V or so for a good cruising speed.

Here's what I found:

- Any PWM setting high enough to run the motors at full speed was also
enough to light the "battery" light and reset the Handy Board.  I can run
the motors at an unsatisfactory crawl -- about 2.25 V, according to my
voltmeter -- but anything higher makes the board reset.  This problem
occurs even if I switch to an 8AA power supply.

- Even though my program waits for the start button to be pressed before
doing anything, sometimes the Handy Board starts up with both motors
running, apparently at full power with no PWM.  Since this leaves the CPU
without enough power to run, the robot gets stuck in a full-speed-ahead
state.  This heats up the L293Ds and is probably terrible for the motors,
especially when I'm trying to run the board off 8AA batteries.  The robot
is also liable to jump off my desk while I'm trying to program it.

Has anyone had similar problems, and if so how did you solve them?  I know
there's a way to provide a separate power supply for the motors, but I'd
rather not cut traces on the board except as a last resort.

If I do have to use separate power supplies, would the Handy Board itself
run OK with a 9V battery?  At least that way I wouldn't have two bulky
power packs to deal with.

--
Raphael Carter <anagram@chaparraltree.com>