 Robotics / Handy Board / 4183
Re: Need Help to solve the algorithm.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 15:20:09 GMT

The paper referred to is at

  ftp://cherupakha.media.mit.edu/pub/el-publications/CiP/CiP_Martin.pdf

My personal advise is that you simply *get started*.  hook up your
motors and start driving your robot around.  see what it can do, how
it moves.  then connect sensors and gain an intuition for their
performance.

you definitely DO NOT want to design this project top-down (i.e.,
thinking really hard and planning your solution) if you do not yet
have experience with the problem domain (i.e., a mobile robot in a
semi-structured playing field).

Fred

In your message you said:
May I suggest that you get a copy of a paper that Fred Martin wrote (should b • e
on his website, that is where I got it). It talks about the experience of sev • eral
of his students and their approaches and pitfalls is designing a robot not to • o
dissimilar to what you are doing.

The bottom line is that many beginners approach a project like yours with mis • conceived
ideas as to the reliability of sensors, ease of programming and overall being
too optimistic. This may help you position yourself and make you aware of som • e
unforeseen problems (for example, you probably should NOT rely on the process • or
telling the motors to move and then trying to keep track of your position bas • ed
of wheel movement).

Good luck,
Mike

Hello,
I really need help to solve the alogrithm in using the HD with interactive

C program .

Presently. I'm constructing a mobile robot to move within a battle field of

5metres by 5metres. In side the battle filed, the "mines" are visible with

diameter 300mm. It has a white reflector tape surround it at the
circumstance on the bottom of the mines. he mines are placed ramdomly in
the battle field.The robot CANNOT  bump into it. The robot has to avoid
from begining till the end . The robot has to cross from one end to the
opposite end as fast as possible. I"m using 2 stepper motors to drive the
robot.

Pls take note there is another condition. Besides the "mines" , there are
obstacles totally in black (eg pails) around. The robot can bump into the
obstacle but has to move away and then search the finish end.

I will be using 10  retro-reflective sensors (photoelectric). The working
Sensing range is 50mm away from the "mines" . When the robot sense the
"mines" at 50mm away,
it has to avoid and turn left or right and then forward again.

Pls help me to solve the alogorithm when the robot move till
one location , the robot will know where it is within the 5m by 5m .

rgds,
phillip chia