 Robotics / Handy Board / 4168
RE: SPI problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 14:46:24 GMT

Serial libraries are wwriten for Serial port,not for SPI port! Are you
needing use the spi like a standard oitput port or like a SPI (synchronus
serial port)???? Is the device spi compatiible? If yes, you need the portd
to work like a SPI port. if not just use like a standard i/o port , and use
the imagination ... :)
german gentile

-----Original Message-----
From: Ilya [mailto:ilya@flight.uchicago.edu]
Sent: Jueves 16 de Julio de 1998 18:51
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: SPI problems

I am trying to connect my Handyboard with a Motorola 68HC11A1FN chip
inside with a AD7858L- 12-bit ADC.

In my IC code I first write to the DDRD (Port D Data Direction Register)
($1009) and activate SCK(bit4), MOSI(bit3), MISO(bit2).
Then I write to SPCR (SPI Control Register  and set bits 7(SPIE), 6(SPE),
4(MSTR), 2(CPHA), 1(SPR1).
Following I use serial_putchar() from the serialio.c library to initialize
the ADC... so far so good... no errors reported...
The ADC then is supposed to make a conversion and relay the data back to
the Handyboard via SPI. I use serial_getchar()

v1 =(float)serial_getchar();

and the Handyboard crashes.. at least the heart on the LCD stops
beating..
serialio.c is loaded on my handyboard! Was the serialio.c library written
for SPI?!?! If not then I guess I found my problem.. but if it is for SPI,
what am I doing wrong? Are my addresses correct?

Can someone please tellme the right addresses for the following:
DDRD, SPCR SPSR, SPDR.

I have read various Motorola documentations and have not came out with a
distinct answer for my HC11A1FN chip. I have also found contradicting
values for the HC11 family so I am completly lost! The program did not
work when I tried to manually receive/send data through SPI.

Please help!

All of the requests will be kindly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Ilya