 Robotics / Handy Board / 4156
4155  |  4157
Subject:
Simultaneous Control of Multiple Servos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 03:28:37 GMT

I have asked this before and not received much regarding this question.  So,
here goes again.

In building a walking robot, how important is it to control the motion of all legs
simultaneously?

Seems like that pulsing one at a time creates the situation where one leg drags
the others.  I know there is a delay between the time an mcu command is
issued and the time the pulse goes out, but still it seems like one leg would
drag the others without some kind of parallel controller.  I also wonder about the
ability of the serial controllers to perform simultaneous servo control.

Seems like each leg should be programmed to walk identically, and that each
would have a phase relationship with each other.  But all have to be moving in
sync and not one at a time.  Is the HC11 a poor choice for this kind of motion?
Or is it just fine?  Or does it require some kind of servo controller?  Mostly I'm
interested in the walking algorithm and synchronization control.

Is this at all an important issue?  How is it addressed?  Any web info on this?  I
have looked at many walking robot pages but have not seen this addressed.

Thanks
ipscone@halcyon.com                                 Shoot-To-Win!

Protect the 2nd Amendment!               Your rights may be next!