 Robotics / Handy Board / 4140
4139  |  4141
Subject:
PLAIN TEXT ONLY
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 22:23:02 GMT

Dear all,

I would like to remind everyone to please attempt to send

  PLAIN TEXT ONLY

messages when you post to the Handy Board mailing list.

This is to respect the many of us who have old fashioned text only
mail readers, and to save bandwidth in the archives.

If you know how to turn off MIME messages and HTML, please do so when
posting to the Handy Board mailing list.  Thank you and good bye.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, please continue to read on.

OK.  If you're here, it's because you're not sure what I mean when I
say "no MIME attachments or HTML text."  Well, it's different for
every mail system, but the basic idea is to turn off the pretty HTML
colored and styled text options in your email program.

For example, in Microsoft's "Outlook Express" mail program, there is a
"Message Composition" preferences setting.  In that screen, there are
two choices for the "Mail sending format": HTML or Plain text.  Please
choose "Plain text" for maximum compatibility with Handy Board users.

Nearly all mail programs should have a set of options like this.
Please check your mail program and make sure it is NOT set to send
HTML formatted email.    There should be a setting for "Plain text" or
"ASCII" or something other than HTML or MIME.  Please use it.

Not only will Handy Board people thank you, but many others you may
wish to send email to, who have older email programs, will find your
email *much* easier to read.

Thank you for listening (and following up),

Fred