 Robotics / Handy Board / 4124
Re: Inclinometer for Handyboard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 03:39:41 GMT

Don't know if home brew is OK for your needs but I found a little while back,
a website that had several different homebrew sensors described and a single
axis inclinometer was one. try using

+robot +inclinometer

in the Altavista search engine.

The device was essentially a small round cylinder about 1.5 inces in diameter
and 1/4 inch deep. The designer used 2 plastic pieces that were glued together
after 3 bare parallel wires were shaped to the inside circumference and placed
inside with just the ends protruding through tight fitting holes in the side
of the cylinder. The 2 outside wires are joined one terminal of a variable
resister
and the center wire is the other terminal. The 2 outside wires are used instead
of just one to negate any tilt in any axis except the one being measured by
effectively "averaging" the resistance. After glueing the pieces together it
was partially filled with a fluid and then sealed. See the attached Windows
paintbrush bitmap drawing.

The author did a much better job describing it than I have but I hope you get
some idea of the device.

Mike

Hello,
I've been searching, without much luck for a single axis inclinometer with

a reasonable settle time and +-30 degree resolution, for less than $50.
Anyone have any leads?

Thanks,
Aaron

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: image/bmp; name="inclinometer.bmp"