 Robotics / Handy Board / 4087
Re: microcontroller
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 02:34:31 GMT

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 brian-c@technologist.com wrote:

-I'd like to say thanks to all the folks who replied
to my question on the microcontroller speeds.

Here's another general question about them though.
Should any unused pins be left open or should they
be grounded?

Eeeeeeeeeeek!  Outputs left floating, CMOS inputs taken to ground with a
4.7K resistor... presuming, of course, that a Logic 0 on that input won't
generate adverse effects, e.g. a grounded active low interrupt line
might be a problem.  Such inputs should be taken to +5 with a 4.7K
resistor.

Floating CMOS inputs have a tendency to oscillate with the merest whisper
of a voltage.

TTL inputs may be left floating.

Driving an output externally will just heat up your CPU.. or worse.

-d

The box said "Requires Windows 95/NT or better"...
                                                 So I got Unix.

Free the Source.  Free your Computer... http://www.FreeBSD.org
                                          http://www.NetBSD.org
                                            http://www.OpenBSD.org