 Robotics / Handy Board / 4012
4011  |  4013
Subject:
Tracked Robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 1998 18:38:48 GMT

I just noticed the conversation about tracked robots.

We have done some work with them here at the U of M.  We have one of the
Tamiya tanks.  It is very nice, but only has one motor.  If you want to
do skid steering with both tracks at once, it will require modification.
Currently it steers by only turning on one side at a time.  It does move
very fast, and can carry a lot of weight.  Plus it is a very
well-engineered vehicle.

If you want to use the lego parts and want to have a tread-like vehicle,
the best solution we have found is to use two sets of chains per side.
The robots very rarely throw a chain, unlike the treads which seem to
come apart very often.

Another good solution is to use some kind of a toy treaded vehicle.  I
built a robot using the chassis from a wired remote control caterpillar.
It has two independant motors and gearboxes.  I did have to build my own
h-bridge for it, though, since the motors draw more current than the
handyboard h-bridge can handle.  While the one I used isn't available
anymore, radio shack sells remote controlled treaded vehicles from time
to time.  The motors on the radio shack toys can be driven right from the
handyboard h-bridge.  These solutions have the advantage of being
considerable cheaper than the Tamiya offerings.

David Littau