 Robotics / Handy Board / 395
394  |  396
Subject:
using ni-cads in parallel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 22:31:27 GMT

Ni-cads have really low internal resistance.  If the two packs start off at
different levels of charge, you may have a problem with lots of current
flowing between the packs when you first connect them.  I'd recommend
moving to a larger pack rather than putting two in parallel.

However, if you want to try it, start off by putting the two packs in
parallel, with a power resistor (say 50 ohms) between either the +
terminals or the - terminals.  Current will flow until the voltage
equalizes; I'd leave it going for a few hours.  Afterwards, connect the
batteries in parallel and leave them that way.  Another option that should
probably work is to fully discharge both batteries before connecting.

I'm not sure how well the above will work having not tried it myself.  You
can tell in general how happy Ni-cads are by how hot they get.  If one or
both packs gets very hot when you connect or use them, you know something's
probably gone wrong.

-- Randy