 Robotics / Handy Board / 3912
Re: Lego motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 22:22:35 GMT

From ameldridge@fwd.ndirect.co.uk Fri Jun  5 15:22:24 1998
What are the
pros and cons of using Lego motors to drive a robot project that I have in
mind ???, should I scrape this idea and go for servos ???

As I've said, I think the new Lego Technic gear motors are a great deal.  They're inexpensive (about $18 each), they seem to
be quite efficient, and they run well directly from the HB power supply.  If
you're building your robot out of Legos (and maybe even if you're not), then I
personally recommend the new Lego Technic gear motors.

If you do get servos, make sure they're the kind with the full circular gears,
so that you can hack them for continuous rotation (I've heard that some of the
smaller servos out there have partial gears).  Tower Hobbies has good prices
(they're on the web).  Bear in mind that you might need a separate battery pack
for the motors if they can't handle 9.6 V.

--Will