 Robotics / Handy Board / 3885
Re: Battery types
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 22:00:35 GMT

   I believe the 9.6 volt also makes a good match for
   most LEGO motors.

-Pandit

----------
From: Brett Anthony <anthonyb@ecs.csus.edu>
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Battery types
Date: Friday, May 29, 1998 3:49 PM

At 11:44 PM 5/28/98 -0400, you wrote:
...was just wondering if the Handy-Board can run on other types of • batteries...
<SNIP>

        My understanding is that 7.2V will work fine.  I suspect 9.6V is
used simply because 8 AA NiCd's fit so well in the specified box.
        The chief concerns here are: (1) do you have enough voltage • overhead
for the 7805; and (2) can you draw enough (instantaneous) current for • your
motors?  This is not a question of capacity (mah), just amps.
        Unless your motors are small and VERY efficient, I believe • Lithium
cells won't work.  I don't know about NiMH; you'll have to check the • specs.
Remember, motors can pull big currents when stalled or under load.

Brett Anthony
Research Technician
School of Engineering and Computer Science
California State University, Sacramento

e-mail: anthonyb@ecs.csus.edu
phone: (916)278-6253
fax: (916)278-5949