 Robotics / Handy Board / 38
Re: 5mm range reflectance sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 17:33:37 GMT

From jxh@plethora.cs.wustl.edu Thu Feb  8 18:47 IST 1996
Hello,

I've got a 5mm range reflectance sensor which I am trying to get to
work with the handyboard, without much success.  Here is what I have:

DigiKey part #: OR506-ND
Manufacturer #: EE-SB5V

The labels on the leads are as follows:

                   .--- (+)
             .--, /
            /  /|/ .---  L
           /  / | /
          :--:  |/ .--- OUT
          |  |  | /
          +  +  |/ .--- (-)
         /  /   | /
        :--:    |/
        |[]|    |
< .  +
        |{}|/| /
        `--' |/
          `--'

With some experimentation I have determined that indeed, with a 330ohm
resistor on the (+) lead and L in ground, the emitter indeed works.  I
tested this by making the buzzer chirp when the IR receiver detects
signals.  However, attaching OUT to signal and (-) to ground has only
led to a reading of 251 on the analog port, and it does not seem to
respond when the sensor is held within 5mm of a sheet of white paper,
or when pointed into empty space.  Cutting down the resistance from
the default 47Kohm pegs the reading to 255, but again no response.
So, as far as I can tell, the receiver on the sensor isn't working.

Very nice ASCII graphics.
I don't know this part but assuming that the + and L pins are the pins which
control the transmitter, and asuming the reciever is a photo transistor that
should act as a switch, I would say that you should connect the OUT pin to +5V
via a pullup resistor AND to the input pin - this will give +5V at this input
when the switch does not sense the light. When put close to a reflector the
switch sould conduct and the voltage in the input should drop. I don't know
what 255 represent in the analog input - I would simply use a DVM to check the
operation.

Gilad
   Gilad Barak - Israel
   gilad@orbotech.co.il