 Robotics / Handy Board / 3742
Re: Testing with PCBUG11 - Getting Close
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 2 May 1998 19:57:57 GMT

My problem turned out to be with Win 95.  If I boot to DOS the
PCBUG11 program works fine.  It fails to work when working from a DOS
window.

I can now communicate with the MCU so my RS232 must be fine.  When
working from the command line in PCBUG, I cannot access the SRAM.
A15 never changes from LOW.

It is as though I cannot access anything except the internal MCU
locations.  I can read/write EEPROM ok.

1) Is it possible to access external SRAM from PCBUG?
2) Shouldn't  one be able to control the port data from PCBUG?  I've
tried but get BAD ADDRESS (or BAD MEMORY something like that).  Like
it's not there
3) Still would like to know baud rate in boot mode?
4) Is the LCD manual on the web somewhere?  Maybe I'll play with that
tomorrow.

Looks like I'll have fun tomorrow playing with this.

From:          "Mike Davis" <ipscone@halcyon.com>

I have assembled the HandyBoard up to the point of adding the SRAM.
I am still waiting for my SRAM to arrive.  But, I want to check out
as much as possible.

Every step checked out fine to this point.

I have two options at this point.  I have an 6264 (8K x 8) that will
give me 8K for not (not using IC yet).  I also have an 811E2 in the
board for now.

I tired to run PCBUG, to test the communications with the MCU but I
get the following error each time I try to communicate with the
board:

Fatal Error[9] - Hardware communication failure.  PCBug terminated.

This error makes me wonder if something might be wrong with my RS232.

Questions:
1) What should the baud rate be during boot sequence?
2) Does PCBug set it automatically?
3) Do I have to set it from Win95 before running PCBug?
4) Does anyone have any suggestions how to test the RS232 using
PCBug11?
ipscone@halcyon.com                                 Shoot-To-Win!

Protect the 2nd Amendment!               Your rights may be next!