 Robotics / Handy Board / 3688
Re: Handy board help
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 13:38:53 GMT

You can build a stepper motor controller on a separate circuit board, then
remove the motor control IC's off the handy board
and use the output signals to control your stepper.  Will have to write a
program to run it.  you will need a min of 4 outputs to drive
2 steppers 2) for Direction and 2) for steping.  That's if you use a stepper
controller IC.  You can power your steppers of a separate power supply.  The
handy board uses 8 output lines to control it's DC motors.

You can use a UCN5804 stepper conrtoller IC  or build your own.
http://www.wizard.org/schem/stepper.html

I hope that helps.

-----Original Message-----
From: brian-c@technologist.com <brian-c@technologist.com>
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu <handyboard@media.mit.edu>
Date: Tuesday, April 21, 1998 12:31 PM
Subject: Handy board help

I am interested in using the Handy Board, but I have a few questions about • it first. Please help.  :)

I noticed the Handy Board supports 4 motors but I am interested in using • stepper motors with it. Is this possible?

If so what modifications would be nessary to accomodate for the extra
connections needed for the stepper motors. Also what would I have to do as
far as having to deal with the extra current from the stepper motors as
apposed to regular DC motors.

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Brian Carvalho