 Robotics / Handy Board / 3681
Re: IR Transmit ?!? HELP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 04:28:00 GMT

I recently assembled a Handy Board, everything is perfect except for the
IR Transmitter.  The IR Tx LED does not light.  It is not the LED itself
because I replaced it.  I can't seem to figre out what's wrong.  Please
help.

Did you follow the instructions in the HB Assembly debug? at

  http://el.www.media.mit.edu/projects/handy-board/hbassem/hbassem5.html

it says:

  Output Stage

  If LED9R fails to light after the poke command is issued, trace the
  following progression of signals. Please refer to the infrared output
  schematic:

  * 6811 Timer Output 2. This is the signal from the 6811 that enables
  the IR transmission circuit. Check pin 28 of the 6811; it should be
  high.  The signal is wired to pin 2 of U7; it also should be high.

  * Oscillator Output. Look at the signal on pin 3U7; when the 6811
  timer output 2 is high, it should be a 40 kHz square wave. If not,
  check for proper installation of U7, R4, and C6.

  * Inverter. The 40 kHz square wave should go to pin 1 of U9, where it
  is inverted and output on pin 2 of the same chip.

  * Transistor Drive. The 40 kHz signal then passes through R3, where it
  is delivered to the base of Q1. Check for the signal's presence at
  these points.

  * Transistor and LED Wiring. Check that the emitter lead of the
  transistor is properly grounded, and that LED9R and R5 have good
  solder joints.

let us know the results.

fred