 Robotics / Handy Board / 3672
3671  |  3673
Subject:
Help!!! Polaroid problem!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 1998 07:45:28 GMT

I am trying to use one of the Polaroid 6500 kits from Wirz with my senior
design project.  It doesn't exactly use a handyboard, but our
microcontroller is virtually identical at the lowest level.  The problem
is when we attach the device to the scope, we NEVER see any significant
voltage on the ECHO pin.  With the INIT pulsing 5V every second, we still
get nothing but residual noise (kind of a lot, but at no more than .5V)
and the remnants of the sixteen pulses from the ping.  I hear a clicking
sound too, which was unexpected and is quite annoying.  Is this normal?
How come I never have any voltage on ECHO?  I am not using the blanking
inhibit at all, and if I look at the noise at about a 200mv setting on the
scope, I can see a shape in the noise that changes with an objects
proximity to the transducer, but it is not anything like a logic level.  I
have tried a million different ways of hooking this thing up and have
tried two different driver boards.  This is getting ridiculous. How does
one go about testing the device?  I am powering it with a HP E3631A Triple
output DC power supply with the current limiter maxed at 5.0 Amps, which
should be enough to cover the 2A pinging surge.  Please help me figure out
what is going on or a better way to test it.  We connected it to the
microcontroller as it connects to the handyboard, but that of course
didn't work either.  If you can respond via email, that would be best
because I don't get this list regularly.  Please respond soon so I don't
fail senior design!! ;-)  Take it easy,

Chris