 Robotics / Handy Board / 3648
Re: 64K RAM?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 17:36:35 GMT

This is a common question, so I went ahead and put an answer in the
FAQ.  Take a look at:

  http://el.www.media.mit.edu/projects/handy-board/faq/index.html#moremem

Here's what it now says:

    IS IT POSSIBLE TO EXPAND THE HANDY BOARD'S MEMORY TO 64K?

    Actually, this is hard to do. Here's why:

    1.There is a compromise in the design that traded off a wasteful use
    of the lower 32K of memory for fewer chips used in creating the motor
    output, digital input, and expansion bus circuits. Basically, 16K of
    the lower 32K is used to map four input latches and four output
    latches to the microprocessor (see more info in the memory map
    answer).

    What this means is that in order to recapture the lower 32K, the
    addressing circuit that drives the 'HC138 chip (which then drives
    these latches) would need to be modified. Presently, the 'HC138 is
    wired to the 68HC11, using the A15, A14, A13, and A12 signals. To
    recapture the address space, many more address signals would need to
    be combined to force the HC138 to enable itself only when a narrow
    band of addresses were accessed. Then, an additional RAM could be
    mapped to the lower 32K bank not used by this remapped 'HC138 circuit.

    2.Interactive C
    would need to be recompiled. Interactive C was designed with certain
    assumptions about the architecture of the target system; one of those
    included a 32K RAM. Various modifications to Interactive C (largely,
    the redefining of compile-time constants) would be necessary for it to
    use a different memory architecture.

    This said, it is relatively straightforward to build a
    serially-accessible external memory for data storage. For example, see
    Jim Fong's SPI-based EEPROM application note.

In your message you said:
Hello, I wonder if anyone knows if I can expand the Handyboard's memory
to the maximum of 64KB simply be wiring in a 128kb SRAM (A16 unused so
it becomes 64kb) with D0-D7 to the data bus as usual and A0-A14 to the
existing RAM socket and A15 from the expansion header directly to the
RAM's A15? Would IC need any modification or anything? Thanks!