 Robotics / Handy Board / 3541
3540  |  3542
Subject:
Working with a different compiler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 21:56:11 GMT

Hi all,

I managed to get the TASKING (Whitesmiths) 68HC11 optimizing C compiler,
debugger and simulator for use with the Handyboard. Thrilled at first I now
realize I leave the safe Interactive C path and wander of in the dark. I
would like to get some understanding of what I am doing.

I've went through the mailing list since July 96 and have not found many
references to using the Handyboard with a different compiler then IC. I
have the pink book, I read the HB site and the documentation that came with
the compiler and still can't get passed the "Hello World" stage. Can
anybody help me with general embedded programming and programming the HB in
particular?

My first real goal to achieve is a set of routines that use measured
velocity (using shaft-encoders) and feed this information to the motor
drivers. Using ANSI-C I created routines that do the actual work for the
feed-back loop but I came to the conclusion there is much more I have to
understand first.

I played around with the compiler package, I can create a C program and
generate a S19 file. As far as I understand the documentation, it links a
routine that starts up a function called main() after reset. The created
S19 file can be downloaded without problems to the handyboard using
HBDL.EXE. I reset the board and nothing happens!

To get some feedback during my escapades with the handyboard and to learn
the tools I would like to start of with a routine that beeps the piezo. I
have read the tries of German Gentile but did not find an answer.
Programming the various timers in C leaves me clueless and implementing an
interupt driven routine is off-limits for now. So can anybody help me
creating (or just supply <gr>) an ANSI-C routine that beeps the piezo?
Peeks and pokes in a simple loop will do fine for me at this point.

The compiler software I have allows for intermixing assembly and C, can map
memory locations to variables without the need of pointers (a question of
me earlier about this is answered in this package using a special
identifier) and has all sorts of extravagant optimizations. I have a
debugger, monitor and simulater, capabale of code-profiling etc. and I
can't use any of them (yet)... ;(

I don't really understand what is happening when I download a program to
the HandyBoard. What is a bootstrap exactly? Will the programs I write
automatically go into the 32K RAM? What happens if I switch it off - will
my code be unusable like IC code or can I do with simple integrety
checking?

Since I have no feedback of the board at all I am a bit stuck...
So please, is there somebody who has previous experiences and wants to help
me out here...?

thanks, Jaron
j.paludanus@tip.nl