 Robotics / Handy Board / 3507
3506  |  3508
Subject:
Info about Robostore H-bridges
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 01:19:02 GMT

Hello,

I have just ordered 2 h-bridges from Robotstore

I haven't received them yet but here are the informations they sent me
about one of this H-Bridges;
It may help...

François G.

We intend to buy your Maxi Dual H-Bridge ((kit
3-302- #- $39.95).

But before we would like to know a few things :

Thanks for your interest.  The kit has just been
upgraded to TFXCM3.1- here are the short & sweet
answers to your questions- links appear at the end of
this so you can download data sheets for the
important parts.

1) What is the continuous current each bridge can • provide if we use 12V DC
motors

If you provide heat sinking to keep the FETs below
100 degrees Centigrade, the FETs will do 20A
continuously.  Note that operating the devices at
maximum ratings will shorten the MTBF.

2) What is the peak(maximum) current each bridge
can undergo?

Peak pulsed drain current of a FET, maximum is 110A
as long as junction temperature is limited.

3) Can we connect the two outputs of a double • H-Bridge to a single motor
to get higher current supply?

FETs are inherently easy to parallel (the RDSon
increases with junction temp., acting to lower the
current through a hotter FET)- but rather than
connect two controllers together, it would be better
to double up on the power FETs on a single controller
so all FETs share the same logic circuitry.  Also,
note that power sharing is best if they all share a
common heatsink.

4) Can we  interface it with the HewletPackard • HCTL1100 motor driver (
that is the motor driver we plan to use)?

I have no info on the HP device mentioned...

5) Is there any limitation regarding the  PWM • commands we have to send to
the bridge?

It is recommended that the minimum pulse width of
any PWM scheme be 100uS.  The pulse width is limited
by the optoisolator delay and the capacitance at the
FET's gate.  You should be able to exceed the
recommended minimum- but hook the controller up to a
scope to verify, especially if you are parallelling
FETs.

http://digikey.com
this link to a retailer will let you look up data
sheets for the two important parts:  PS2501-4,
optoisolator, and IRLZ34N HEXFET.  They also provide
an industry link to International Rectifier, makers
of the HEXFET, from whom you can download SPICE models!