 Robotics / Handy Board / 3405
Re: Kent's sonar routines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:24:21 GMT

MAR ERICSON wrote:

Can anyone clarify something for me?

A section of the code of sonar.asm goes as
follows:

variable_sonar_time
sonar_time              FDB       0

What does this mean? Why are there two variables
before the FDB?

The line "variable_sonar_time" indicates that the
immediately following FDB will be available to IC
as an integer variable named "sonar_time".

The next line with the FDB is just a regular
assembler definition statement to allocate storage
for the variable and name it for assembler access
purposes.

Another section goes as follows:

variable_sonar_enable   FCB       0
sonar_enable            FCB       0

I thought IC integers had to be 2 bytes.

Yes, IC integers have to be 2 bytes.

And also, are these two different variables?

My guess is "yes and no".  I am guessing they are
pulling a trick so that IC sees a 2-byte variable
while assembler sees a 1-byte variable.

I haven't seen this sort of thing before.  If you
didn't copy it wrong and if it really works then
my guess would be that it is defining a
single-byte value for assembler usage, prefixed by
a guaranteed null byte so that IC can access it
properly.

/Max