 Robotics / Handy Board / 34
33  |  35
Subject:
Using cheap RC chasis as 'bot
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 11:28:12 GMT

I used a Fischer Price RC car: well built with two gear settings and quite
battery efficient. Once the RC receiver was ripped out, there was plenty of
space for the Miniboard to be mounted internally. However, I chose to mount
it on top in a standard circuit box with two large battery holders for
increased charge life. The old battery box has an induction coil for
sensing magnetic tracks and for hands free charging, while the front bumper
was canibalised to allow for two bump switches, and the rear spoiler will
have ultrasonic sensors attached when I get the funds. The whole structure
is well designed and strong, and the lower gear setting provides plenty of
torque even with the fairly cheap DC motors. An excellent and cheap setting
for a simple mobile robot.