 Robotics / Handy Board / 3374
3373  |  3375
Subject:
how to use IR recievers?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 07:12:10 GMT

I remember some lively discussions concerning the use of an ir sensor (like
from an ex-vcr) to locate objects, walls, etc.  I didn't have a handy board
at the time, but saved the messages for the time that I got one.  Well that
time is now, but I have paged down through all my saved email messages and
can't seem to find the ones I need.

So I dismembered a dead vcr and got the ir receiver module out, it consists
of a pcb with a surface mounted 8-pin IC & a few resistors, a capacitor,
and the ir sensitive device.  It has three pins on it, obviously for
signal, ground and supply voltage, I got the ground pegged, it's pretty
obvious, but the other two just go to a couple of the pins of the IC.
Anyone out there know how I can identify the other two?  The board has
'CMK-29EHB silkscreened on it, if that's any help.  Once I do figure this
out, I assume I can connect the out to one of the HB's digital inputs and
power it up (5 volts?) and it will go high (low?) when it gets a modulated
signal (at what frequency I have no idea).
This is about as far as I can get.  Anyone know where I can get more info
on using one of these to detect  ...stuff...   ?   including how to get an
ir led to put out a modulated signal that will be received by the receiver?
( I have the remote from the vcr, I expect to tear that apart to use its
ir led.)

any input from anyone will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
-patrick