 Robotics / Handy Board / 3282
3281  |  3283
Subject:
Expanding the memory of the handyboard
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 19:50:17 GMT

A number of students that used the handyboard in our Mechatronics
competition needed substantially more memory than the 16,320 bytes
currently available.  What options are there to add memory to the
handyboard?

Thanks to everyone who contributes to handyboard@media.mit.edu

Kevin B. Smith

kbsmith@byu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred G. Martin [SMTP:fredm@media.mit.edu]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 1998 7:46 AM
To: patrick@surfari.net
Cc: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Fw: questions on IC

re: #1,

in a sense, the stuff you downloaded *is* there, but IC doesn't know
how to access it until you re-download.  So yes, each time you restart
IC, you must re-download your project.

re: #2.

there are not good reporting tools for memory usage.  i think the
'mem' command reports free memeory in the IC application, which isn't
that relevant.

the way that the 6811 memory is partitioned is follows, there is
basically 16K for user code.  There is no way to free up more space
without recompiling IC.   Here are some more details.

user program object code + user global variables 16320 bytes available
runtime OS 7936 bytes used
stack space for user processes 6656 bytes used
buffer for interaction process   256 bytes used
buffer for printing   256 bytes used

When downloading your code, IC tells you how many bytes are going
down.  You've got 16,320 available.

Fred

In your message you said:

------=_NextPart_000_01BD36FA.F5C69CC0

If there is ANYONE out there who can give me just a little guidance on
these two issues, or at least the first and most important one, I would
certainly appreciate hearing from them...  an extended treatise isn't
necessary, just a short answer will do...
thanks,
-patrick