 Robotics / Handy Board / 3266
3265  |  3267
Subject:
public apology
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 00:26:03 GMT

Yes -- I didn't think very hard and in retrospect it's fairly evident
that Jan-Sipke's code is just the starting step.

Sorry for being such a blunderhead.

(Jan-Sipke and I have been exchanging some private messages and I
think he's closing in on a solution.)

Fred

In your message you said:
Fred G. Martin wrote:

Jan-Sipke,

You're really pretty far away from having this
work.  It's not just a
matter of redirecting the serial interrupt; when
you get there, you
have to:

* store incoming character in a buffer
* advance the buffer pointer
* check the buffer for overruns

then you need a separate subroutine which
fetches the character from
the buffer (checking first if there is anything
there), and decrements
the buffer point.

learning how to write interrupt code is probably
the hardest part of
assembly programming.  my best advice to you is
to simply write code
on the PC side to slow down your transmit
character rate until things
work. and make sure on the HB side, you're in a
tight loop receiving
characters when communications are in progress.

Sipke obviously realizes that more work is needed,
and justs want to get to step 1 first by
recognizing the interrupt.  That is exactly what I
would do too.

I've been thinking about writing an
interrupt-driven serial receive routine too, but
haven't had the time for it yet.  Such a method
would be magnitudes better than the 'tight-loop'
reception method which I find always gives me
trouble once my program gets complicated enough to
not run as fast as I would like.

On the other hand, maybe there's a comprimise
approach:  Try writing 'C' code that you run as a
seperate high priority process to poll for serial
input and buffer it, and add a support routine
that your normal code can call to pull characters
out of that buffer.

/Max