 Robotics / Handy Board / 3250
3249  |  3251
Subject:
a scary story
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 18:56:00 GMT

Just an interesting (or perhaps not) story about what just happened to me
this week while putting my Handy-Board together. I was on the section
where you put on the digital input circuitry, and all was going well so far - it
loads pcode_hb.s19, hooks up to IC and executes commands from the PC.
So far so good, but having loaded HBTEST.C and trying to run
"testdigitals()", nothing happened when I pressed START. OK, started
debugging and then things started going terribly wrong. Somehow I fried an
led and then the display started to act funny. I could still download
"pcode_hb.s19" and connect to IC, and even execute commands, but the
display was either displaying nothing, or displaying half of the "startup
display message" or displaying it in bits... It was really weird. Then, it
stopped communicating with the computer altogether, which wasn't good,
so I really thought I'd actually fried something else. I tested the memory and
the address latches and they were OK, and then miraculously, it worked!
After loading the pcode though, you had to flip the on/off switch (as the
handy board doesn't have a RESET switch) to start the IC programme.
However, it kept losing the pcode when I did this. I eventually worked out,
that if you flick the switch very fast, this doesn't happen, so now I only
have to debug the digital inputs again.