 Robotics / Handy Board / 3122
Re: Digital outputs.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 22:27:47 GMT

"G" == =?iso-8859-1?Q?Germ=E1n Gentile?= <iso-8859-1> writes:

G> Wich are the options to have 3 digital outputs in the handyboard?
G> No matter if i have to do little modifications to the Hardware.  I
G> already know how to conect the keypad if you can tell me how
G> obtain 3 outputs..  :)

Handyboards are tough.  I love 'em, but they don't have outputs.

Anyway, There are 4 outputs for each motor controller.  If you don't
need both, pull one, and replace it with a 16pin header.  (if you look
on the HB web page, the sonar connector uses 2 of them).

Another option is some memory decoding.  The 74138(9?) outputs are on
the expander board pins.  Setting up 3 memory addresses (or ranges)
will allow you have outputs.

The SPI port is sitting there.  I think you can get at 3 outputs from
those pins (SD/RD/CLK).

You'll have to do peeks and pokes to access these bits.  Even setting
the data direction registers to get outputs.

This is a waay off left field idea.

Instead of setting outputs, connect the columns to 5V through a
resistor, a different value for each column.  Connect the columns to
the E port, and measure the analog value returned.  If someone pressed
more than one key you code could be confused a bit.  It would work.
Another idea along these lines would be dasy chaining the rows through
resistors, then you would only have one E port used.

        +++
        555

  Eport-123-VVV-+
      +-455-VVV-+