 Robotics / Handy Board / 3093
3092  |  3094
Subject:
HandyBoard anb Logo ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:20:43 GMT

Hi
It's the first time I join this list, I was wondering if somebody could
give me some biography or link about logo and robots.
If I'm "off subject"  or if you know a list more involved in this
subject please let me know.
I plan to use a handy board attaching as a turtle robot with MS logo, I
just finished building my handy board and I'm testing it. (I't pretty hard
to find all the components at decent prices in Mexico city !!!!!)
Do you know of any hardware or software that would do a better job ?

I've read quite a lot in the Fred Matin page in the Media Lab in the
Epistemology and Learnig group at the MIT.
Great stuff!!!!!!!!!
But the material I think would be most helpfull isn't available thru the
internet:
Children, Cybernetics, and Programmable Turtles, MS dissertation, MIT
Department ofMechanical Engineering, 1988;
a study of concept developments in children who wrote computer
programs to control the actions of small, mobile robots.

The reason that the other material isn't so interesting to me, is that I
just want to use the robot as a tool for extending LOGO, and not robotics
for teaching kids how to learn by themselves (like in legobrick the
other projects).
I'm limited to use the robot just a a tool whith logo beacause the
teachers have a very limited knowlege of computers and none of robotics,
and I think teachers are the most important peace of the puzzle

My application is very simple, a have a friend who works at DGSCA in UNAM
(A computer department in a big university in Mexico city ), with hipoacoustic
(more o less deaf )childends. They have used Logo to help hipoacoustic
children learn some mathematic concepts but more importanly to
teach them to learn by themselves by drawing and solving mazes with logo.
I just want to make some robot to attach to the logo. The only  problem is
I don't know if this would be an improvement over logo. I think that it
could bring some interesting motivational issues or improve interraction
with " the real world", but I'm only guessing.
Mi goal is to find some really interesting activities to develop with
hipoacoustic children, perhaps have some sound procesing for speach
therapy with some interraction with the turtle robot.
As you have read I'm quite confused ...!!!! :-(
I imagine that many people must have being researching this field for some
time, and there must be a lot of material to read.
THANKS !!!!!!!!!

P.S : Hope I haven't to many speelling errors :-)