 Robotics / Handy Board / 3087
3086  |  3088
Subject:
trouble with memory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 01:45:05 GMT

Dear Fred Martin,
I'm in deep deeeep trouble!
A few weeks ago I first read about your handyboard and was very excited
about it, because I was looking for a controller board for my autonomous
vacuum cleaner.
So I ordered the PCB from Douglas Electronics and bought all elements to
get started, which is difficult in Germany, because some elements were
really hard to get. Finally I started assembling the board using Fred
Martin's assembly instruction book. I stuck to the text very carefully,
because I didn't want to make any mistakes. And then it happened:
Everything worked out fine until I got to chapter 5, Memeory Circuitry.
Last thing that worked out fine was the download using hbdl for windows.
I was able to do the download of pcode_hb.s19 without memory, of course
terminating with a memory error. But the transmission worked out fine.
Then I did step 5.1. Fine, nothing wrong. Now step 5.2 memory addressing
latch. I doublechecked the ic's notch before soldering.
Step 5.3. memory chip and decoding gates, Fine!
Next I installed the speaker and fixed the LCD display and put on the
resistor pack. Now I dis the testing and ---
TROUBLE! When plugged in power to the serial board and the telephone
cable into both boards and I turned on the handyboard, the yellow charge
LED started flashing very dim. Same thing when I plugged power directly
into the handyboard. Now the charge LED on HB started flashing faintly.
In bootstrap mode everything was fine, no flashing LED. Now I started
the download with hbdl and transmission succeeded (The upper bar was
complete, the lower one didn't even start). But then I got a memory
error at 0x000. So I tried it some more times with the same result.
Finally I tried dlm with DOS using -265 option: Downloading ConfigC0.s19
to eeprom I succeeded, but then I got the message "got 08 at address
103f, wanted c0."
I use an 68hc11 A-type processor.
I checked every chip. They are put in in the right direction. Then I got
another RAM chip. Same result: Memory error. When I bent away leg 20,
/E, the flickering stopped. I checked my board thoroughly and now I am
really stuck. Do you have a clue where the memory error might come from?
Please help me, you are the only one to keep me from going crazy ;)
--
Alf H. Kuchenbuch
Walchenseeplatz 5