 Robotics / Handy Board / 3059
Re: High current speed controllers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 16:24:56 GMT

Thomas Vanselow wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a speed controller circuit for controlling a 12VDC motor which could draw up to 25A.  I'd like to use the Handy Board to control its speed.

Cost is not a big concern but compactness is. I would consider using a commercial speed controller if I could find one with the foot print about 3"x3".  I've found many speed controllers at the Tower Hobbies web page, but I am not sure what sort of input these controllers require.  Has anyone ever interfaced the Handy board to a commercial speed controller?  It looks like these units are designed to connect up with RC radio equipment.

Also, can anyone speak to the pros and cons of digital control verse analog?  I seem like many of the speed controllers use PWM techniques for motor speed control.  My application is not really high tech, so I was considering a simply power transistor circuit.  Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tom

Tom,
Try this company , They have single and dual Forward/Reverse
proportional speed controls for 4.8 - 140vdc at up to 220 amps and 3
hp.  500oz/in to 27 foot/pound packaged servos.
I have a catalog from this company, great stuff but the price range is
out of my hobby budget. It is for RC equiptment though.
Good Luck
Terry Gathright

Vantec Co.
460 Casa Real Place