 Robotics / Handy Board / 3036
Re: Smoking serial/charger board...!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:59:36 GMT

I am having a similar problem (see notes below) - R11 is burning on the
serial/charger board.  My HB had been on the shelf for a month or so, and
it may have been left on AND I had made the motor-power hack (I tapped the
center of the battery pack to supply the motors' power).  This all reminded
me of the note below on a problem very much like this.

I checked the charger-to-HB cable and its correct (cable I have always used).

I think the HB was on when I first plugged in the charger.  I soon started
smelling that electronic-burn smell we all hate so much!!!   I quickly
disconnected every thing and noticed R11 was brown.

I checked the battery pack - its at 5V.  If I try charging via the charge
jack on the HB, the charge LED glows brightly, but R14 on the HB gets very
hot in a few seconds. I also checked to be sure the HB power switch is off
position and I was not connected to the serial/charger board.

I remembered the note below of a similar problem.  Oddly, I too had made
the motor power hack.  But thats been in for a long time with no problem.
For good measure, I disconnected the jumper cable I had run to the HB's
motor power trace from the center of the battery pack - but no change in
symtombs.

I did not notice any hot caps, as someone else suggested a shorted cap in
response to the other posting of R11 burning.

Any ideas???? Short somewhere??  I disconnect all motors, sensors and
external connections.

Keith

make sure you have a telephone-style and not network-style RJ11 cable.

Here is how you tell if you have a telephone-style or network-style
RJ11 cable.  Hold the two ends together, metal contact side up, as if
you were trying to plug them into each other.

Then look at the wiring colors.  On a telephone cable, each color
should line up with itself on the other end.

On a network cable, the colors are inverted.

See the diagrams for clarification.  Again, please, please, PLEASE!
be careful about this and do not use network cables with your Handy
Board.

       -Fred

               TELEPHONE STYLE WIRING
       +---------------+       +---------------+
--------+ yellow =======+       +======= yellow +--------
       + green  =======+       +======= green  +
       + red    =======+       +======= red    +
--------+ black  =======+       +======= black  +--------
       +---------------+       +---------------+

                NETWORK  STYLE WIRING
       +---------------+       +---------------+
--------+ yellow =======+       +======= black  +--------
       + green  =======+       +======= red    +
       + red    =======+       +======= green  +
--------+ black  =======+       +======= yellow +--------
       +---------------+       +---------------+

In your message you said:

Well,

Today I dig up my handyboard which was working fine with the serial/sharger
board and all the last time I used it a few months ago.

After a fresh overnight NiCd charge using the onboad power connector
(i.e. not using the serial/charger board), I thought I would play with
it a bit. That's when the fun started...

Upon plugging in the telephone cord between the handyboard and serial/charger
board, R11 started to turn darker and literally started smoking... By the tim • e
I got around to disconnecting the cord, R12 and LED14 have started to do the
same. I guess that R11(47 Ohms 1/2W) burnt out causing a domino effect on
R12(47 Ohms 1/8W)...

My question is, does anyone know why it's doing this? Right before I shelfed
it couple month ago, I made the modification for using less than 9.6V motor
(per instruction on the handyboard homepage). But, all was working fine
after that (at least I thought so)... I should mention that the two motor
driver sockets are empty because I'm still waiting for my TI 754410 (and
have been for 2 months)...

I have just replaced R11 & R12 and I thought I should ask before I try
again... Any clue would be appreciated... Voltage across pin 3 & 4 of the
modular socket on the handyboard read 10.2V. The charge rate switch was
at normal.

TNX

--Ron