 Robotics / Handy Board / 3027
3026  |  3028
Subject:
Handyboard problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 19:53:14 GMT

We've encountered a problem with our Handyboard that we hope the list
may be able to help solve. It all started with the "Normal/Zap" switch
on the charger board, which was somewhat loose. It wiggled whenever we
changed the setting. After a couple of days, the switch broke off. We
were able to solder it back on, but this is when the trouble began.
Everything had been working fine for a couple of days up to that point.

We downloaded the pcode onto the board. Then, when power cycling the
board to reset it, we noticed that the component next to the switch
(marked LM340T5) became very hot. We also noticed that when we turned
the power back on, the Interactive C banner did not show up. Rather, the
half-dark screen that shows up when the board has nothing in memory
showed up.

Now, every time after successfully downloading pcode onto the board
(successful according to "dl" anyway), resetting the board does not
bring up the Interactive C banner and heartbeat. We have tried this
several times. We have not managed to duplicate the heating-up of the
component, but we have avoided powering the Handyboard through an
adapter through the charger board, using batteries connected directly to
the Handyboard instead.

We were wondering if anyone else has encountered similar symptoms or if
anyone could shed some light on what the problem might be and how we'd
go about fixing it. Does anyone know what component(s) might be
sensitive to overheating? Since the download seems to complete
successfully, can anything be said about the functionality of the 6811?
How about the RAM? We actually tried swapping the 62256 RAM chip, since
we had a replacement part readily available, but this did not seem to
affect the result in any way.

Thanks.

  - Abhay

  Abhay Saxena  Ashdown House 312D     . __  You can lead a horse
  ark3@mit.edu  305 Memorial Drive    /|(_   to water, but pastrami
(617)225-9734  Cambridge, MA 02139  (____)  sandwiches don't float.