 Robotics / Handy Board / 302
Re: Assembler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:07:55 GMT

If you are using the Beta of Interactive C, you can use the web version of
the assembler found at:

http://www.newtonlabs.com/ic/icb.html

I'm pretty sure that files assembled this way will work with the
freeware IC as well.

Please note one big GOTCHA with ICB files.  On the MS-DOS platform,
the ICB files must have Unix-style line termination.  OK, what does
that mean.

In a text file, the Mac, Unix, and MS-DOS file systems each have a
different way of specifying the end of each text line.  On the Mac, a
ctrl-M indicates the end of line.  On Unix, it's a ctrl-J.  On the PC,
it's a ctrl-M followed by a ctrl-J.

If you use the web assembler and you've got MS-DOS, when you save the
resulting ICB file it will undoubtedly create a normal DOS text file,
with ctrl-M + ctrl-J linefeeds.  YOU MUST MANUALLY EDIT THIS FILE AND
REMOVE ALL OF THE CTRL-M's.  Now the file will look funny, because "in
the olden days," ctrl-J meant line feed and ctrl-M meant carriage
return (think TeleType).  So on MS-DOS, when you remove the ctrl-M's
you get files where each new line starts where the last one ended in
terms of screen column.

Anyhow, it must be done on MS-DOS using freeware IC!  On the Mac and
Unix platforms, the freeware IC accepts the corresponding native text
file format.

-Fred