 Robotics / Handy Board / 2970
2969  |  2971
Subject:
UK SUPPLIERS OF PCBSDate: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 21:40:00 GMT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 07:51:05 GMT

Hi John,

JJ> I am just writing to see if you still have the PCBs available. If
Yeah, I do - the guy I originally emailed hasn't got back to me yet.
Neither has anyone else actually!
I'm just in the process of enquiring about ordering a Fingerboard since
this fits a six legged application perfectly (the HB's motor drivers
etc. aren't needed - wooops, hope this doesn't put you off wanting the
PCBs!! <smack head> Doh!). Anyway, basically the PCBs cost me $27 inc.
P&P and they're still sealed in the bag. If you want 'em I guess about
17 quid would do (I'd better check on the current exchange rate, that's
off the top of my head) - I hope you don't think this is unfair. They
are brand spanking new and sealed. I'll foot the bill for UK postage.

Great to meet a fellow UK six-legged enthuasiast! There are two methods
I am contemplating at present for driving servos. One is similar to
Frank Scott's (see http://www.frasco.demon.co.uk if you haven't already
- this site is GREAT for 6-legged enthuasiasts! Loads of info and links
too). What he does is to have 2 8-bit latches (74xx374's I think)
connected to the data bus (and enabled off 2 of the expansion address
decodes) giving outputs for up to 16 servos in 2 banks. I think that two
HC11's are unnecessary - you can do it quite easily with one. You
set up the HC11 to generate an interrupt at 1KHz and service the servos
in a round. The 68HC11 has built in output compare registers that are
GREAT here because you give it a value and it switches the required line
to high/low after a timer has run out - saves on processor overhead.
During the interrupt service routine things like footswitches can be
polled also - it's all on Frank Scott's page. The other method I
was thinking of is on someone else's page (I have the address at work -
mail me there and I'll send it to you); basically this involves using
two 4017's (decade counters) and sending them a pulse stream. This
only ties up 2 lines of the HC11, but since the data bus is available
anyway the first method is probably just as easy.

Drop me a line sometime, I'd love to discuss this further - work is
easier as I said: daveh@liteon.co.uk
See ya
-Dave
[Home - david.howey@shades.nildram.co.uk]
P.S. whereabouts in the UK are you?
* RM 1.2  * Eval Day 45 * RoboMail -- The next generation QWK compatible reade
!