 Robotics / Handy Board / 2956
Re: IR devices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 18:07:48 GMT

Hi Jeremy!

I used the shaft encoder out of a track ball for my robotic project(same
thing but a bit bigger).  You do not need the IC out of the mouse just take
the shaft encoder and use it with a IR led and detector pair.  If you are
going to use the digital inputs to count the tics use a smith trigger to
clean up the detector output else use the encoder routine supplied with the
handyboard IC library.  If I recall correctly this routine requires you to
connect the detector to the analog inputs.

I hope this helps.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeremy Sarao <jeremy@hiresystems.com>
To: <handyboard@media.mit.edu>
Date: Monday, November 10, 1997 10:02 AM
Subject: IR devices

I recently opened up a mouse (the computer kind, not the live kind) and
found what I assume to be 2 IR shaft encoders which it uses to translate
the direction you are moving the mouse.  Is there a way that I could remove
them and turn them into shaft encoders for the handyboard?

I don't want to take the time to describe how they are layed out on the
PCB, but I assume it's pretty standard, so pop open your mouse if you need
the visualization.

Any info about this would be greatly appreciated.

It also had a IC labled: e-cmos ec3568a1 9534.  Do you think I would need
the chip as well?  In other words:  are the ir devices directly related to
the IC?

Thanks!

Jeremy