 Robotics / Handy Board / 293
292  |  294
Subject:
Motor Voltage Hack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 1996 17:16:00 GMT

Want to use motors of different voltage than the 9V required by HandyBoard?
Then read this.
I had decided to use converted Servo's as wheel drives, and they want about
4.8V.  In studing the diagram and board layout I discovered that the HB
batterys are brought up to the motor driver chips and the run (path) is easy
to get to.  On the HB a wide trace comes down the left edge, (topside) and
turns right and the bottom corner, then continues to the START button where
it goes up under the button.  I made two cuts about 1/8 inch apart just to
the right of the corner, and removed the metal between.  (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE
REMOVER ALL THE METAL BETWEEN THE CUTS!)  This removes the 12V from the
Motor driver IC's.
Next, look above and slightly to the right of the STOP button.  There you
will find a 4 pin header socket with the 2 pins on the left marked '+' and
the 2 pins on the right marked '-'.  I plugged my motor drive battery pack (
4 Alkaline 'C' cells for 6.4v) into this header and WALLA, (WALLA ?) I have
a new battery drive voltage.  Be careful not to get the new battery plugged
in incorrectly.  The motor drive chips drop about a volt or so and this is
almost perfect for my servo wheel motors.  The motor Red/Green LED's are
expecting 10V so the glow straingly now.  No problem.
One other point on the 6v pack, this is also the voltage required by the
Polaroid 6500 Sonar board.

Hope this is helpfull to someone.

Good luck,

Larry