 Robotics / Handy Board / 2832
2831  |  2833
Subject:
Help me!!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 13:04:00 GMT

I have just finished installing the CPU and serial link to the handyboard.  I
have tryed the test step to check that the download program can make it to
the second stage and it failed.

It gives me a serial recieve time out error.  I am pretty certain that I wired
everything properly.  What did I do wrong?

My hook up:

I have the power going into the charger board and a telephone cable running
from the charger to the CPU board.  I bought a straight through DB25 male to
DB25 female cable that connects the PC to the charger board. The serial light
is always on when the handyboard is connected to the PC and the PC is on.

Here is what happens when I try to download:

1) I set the handyboard into download mode and both lights go out.
2) I start the download from the computer and start the download.
3) The serial light on the chargerboard begins to flash.
4) The power light on the CPU board turns back on.
5) lots of dots on the pc and then some underscores.
6) An error message that says "Serial Recieve timed out. 256 charctors
left to send"
7) I yank my hair out and smash my head against the wall.

Part 7 only happened after the 10th try.

Now I've tryed everything... replacing the phone cord(The phone cord has
four wires).  The phone cord that I replaced it with was of the wrong
oreintation(The charge light whent really bright on the charger board).
I have tryed checking all the soldering on the board and the orientation
of capacitors and chips.  The handyboard passed all the tests until this
point but I did not look at the clock waveform on an ocilliscope but
only with a voltmeter.

I suspect that the following are possible problems:

1) The serial cable:  I think I may have baught the wrong type of serial
cable.  The cable is of fair quality so I do not think that the cable
could be faulty.  This is what I think is the most likely source of
the problem.

2) The telephone cable:  I am not sure that this is even the right
cable but I think that it is correct.   It has four wires and the
handyboard is fully powered when it is pluged in through the
telephone wire.

3) The serial interface chip:  Could this be damaged in some way?

4) The clock:  The clock may be running at the wrong speed.  I put
one of those oval metal ones in and put the capacitors beside it.  This
should be working.  I after all did some tests to check.

5) Faulty HC11.  I don't think that this is the source of my problems
but who knows.

Any help would be greatly apreciated...

John Plasterer